chedil, n.mother (used as term of address).
a
a
el
mo
er
a
a
delakn.poss.1s
delamn.poss.2s
delaln.poss.3s
a
er
dil
el
er
a
delmamn.poss.1pe
deladn.poss.1pi
delmiun.poss.2p
derrirn.poss.3p
delal a blaiexpr.very large house.
delal a chelebuulexpr.disaster; calamity.
delal a delakexpr.my maternal grandmother.
delal a diallexpr.tremendous ship.
delal a karexpr.syn. ongael.
See also: , , , ,
Examples:
> My mother and I are going to Koror.
> My mother was growing flowers in her garden.
> Whose mother did you see?
> Your mother! (strong insult)
> Oskar got angry with his mother.
Proverbs:
> He ate his mother.
To marry or have intercourse with the wife of one's brother. There is a potential reciprocation in which money may go from an elder brother in return for food and service from a younger brother. Once established, particularly where the younger couple have children, a cycle of this type may continue after the younger husband has died. Marrying the wife of a deceased younger brother, then, will interrupt such a cycle. Similarly, sexual relations with this woman may jeopardize the cycle.
> The taro field is the mother of our life
Not only is taro an important staple in the Palauan diet, but a serving of taro is essential at any feast and taro is the essential food in a food-money exchange. Its importance is recognized in this idiom.
> Stinking of fish
Used of the people of Ngerechelong (northern Palau) who specialize in trap fishing. Trap fish are said to be especially oily and smelly.
More Examples:
> My mom visited me in my dreams last night.
> What's your grandmother's name?
> Father/mother, I need money to go to college/university.
> Our neighbor and my mom went to the farm, they will be making grated cassava.
> What's your mother's name?
kedelal
/kederrir
/delal
/derrir
, n.poss.3svery large size or quantity of (according to speaker's judgement).
A delal a biskang!expr.That's a large spear!.
kedelal a blaiexpr.very large house.
kedelal a ngikelexpr.very large fish.
kederrir a blaiexpr.very large house.
kederrir a ngikelexpr.very large fish.
See also:
Examples:
> Kukumai brought the food to her mother.
> She really cares for her mother.
> Their mothers smell of fish. (Used as insult against people from Ngerechelong.)
> Oskar got angry with his mother.
> Whose mother did you see?
Proverbs:
> He ate his mother.
To marry or have intercourse with the wife of one's brother. There is a potential reciprocation in which money may go from an elder brother in return for food and service from a younger brother. Once established, particularly where the younger couple have children, a cycle of this type may continue after the younger husband has died. Marrying the wife of a deceased younger brother, then, will interrupt such a cycle. Similarly, sexual relations with this woman may jeopardize the cycle.
> Stinking of fish
Used of the people of Ngerechelong (northern Palau) who specialize in trap fishing. Trap fish are said to be especially oily and smelly.
> The taro field is the mother of our life
Not only is taro an important staple in the Palauan diet, but a serving of taro is essential at any feast and taro is the essential food in a food-money exchange. Its importance is recognized in this idiom.
More Examples:
> The fire in the hearth is too big; remove some firewood.
> My mother in law is a bit under the weather.
> Her mother is an idiot and she is just like her.
> When I called her mother said he is sleeping.

Search for another word:


Fatal error: Uncaught mysqli_sql_exception: Table 'belau.log_bots' doesn't exist in /home/johnbent/tekinged.com/functions.php:520 Stack trace: #0 /home/johnbent/tekinged.com/functions.php(520): mysqli_query(Object(mysqli), 'INSERT INTO log...') #1 /home/johnbent/tekinged.com/functions.php(1838): visitlog(': pe -> derrir ...') #2 /home/johnbent/tekinged.com/index.php(213): belau_footer(NULL, ': pe -> derrir ...') #3 {main} thrown in /home/johnbent/tekinged.com/functions.php on line 520